Thursday, December 30, 2010

First Experience Abroad




Proverbs 13:20, ¨He who walks with the wise grows wise, but a companion of fools suffers harm

Right now I´m in Ecuador for study abroad. It´s been a great experience! Monday morning I got on a plane for the first time. It was AWESOME! Flew from Des Moines to Chicago to Miami to Quito, Ecuador. Then, when we were landing in Quito, which is atop a mountain, we started going up again! After flying around aimlessly for a bit the pilot said we couldn´t land cause of the fog. So we went to Guayaquil. And sat on the plane. For about 2 hours. Then came back. At 3:30 in the morning we unloaded from a plane that should´ve been there at 10:30. Oh well, such is life.

The next day, Tuesday, we ate a fantastic breakfast at the hotel then went to go on a farm tour. My favorite part was the riding the bus part. I saw so many things, even though we were driving ridiculously and I couldn´t get any good pictures. We had some cool discussions though and got to know one another pretty well. 
Then yesterday morning we travelled to another little town, I can´t think of what´s it´s called just now. The drive through the lush mountains was fantastic! I opened my window and rode with my head and shoulders out for a while, til I got in trouble.

We went on a tour of a tree farm (where I saw a mule AND a donkey!), a pineapple farm, and a palm oil extraction facility. The last place gave us free baseball caps. Always a plus, especially since I noticed that I have about half an inch of blonde-ish hair growing atop the brunette.

Today we went on a tour of a banana farm, which was very cool, and a tobacco leaf farm that has 2000 employees. It was quite ginormous.
Favorite things:
1. the airplane when it takes off
2. the airplane if I´m in a window seat
3. food. all food. but especially piña (pineapple juice) and all the ways they cook meat here
4. ¨The more you play with it, the wetter it gets!¨ -Dr. Lee Burras. He was talking about a particular type of soil. We were all thinking, ¨That´s what she said!¨
5. friends. and hanging out together all the time
6. the Spanish language! I´m finally putting it to use!
7. every time I see a mule. or donkey. especially when I look at a bunch of horses and within .001 seconds I have the one mule picked out. from a distance. (it´s a talent)
8. the weather. even the rain is nice
9. COFFEE! it´s so good here I can drink it black!

Lesser favorite things:
1. smoking in public is common here. I´m allergic.
2. there are some trash problems, especially in poor areas
3. poor areas
4. no toilet paper in a lot of public restrooms
5. Josh and I can´t seem to be on facebook at the same time. I just want a live facebook chat! 
6. it´s very hard to take pictures from the bus 

That is a short summary of my trip so far. This way I won´t have to tell all the details so many times :) 

1 comment:

  1. This is so cool learning about what you are doing in Ecuador!
    What a wonderful adventure you must be having...keep up the blog!

    ReplyDelete