Sunday, December 5, 2010

Wedding Planning





Philippians 4: 6-7, "Do not be anxious about anything but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God."


I could rant on and on about how horrible last week was. But I won't. Putting the past behind me. I will say this-since I've been "born again," my attitude has been affected in hundreds of positive ways. Like when I was driving home Friday, I couldn't have had a more worshipful heart.


I finished up my unfortunate week by going to a friend's wedding Saturday night. Here's a couple pictures.




The bride and groom's first dance.




Josh and I with our flower girl-also the flower girl for this wedding :)




195 days until my own wedding. I'm not panicking yet, but that is a deadline, and.... We have basically nothing done. We have the big things-preacher, location and reception location, ceremony music (which includes Bon Jovi) and Bible verses (all non-traditional), dress and new cowboy boots for myself  :), flower girl, bridesmaids and Man of Honor, and photographer. 

Sometimes I think this would be easier to plan if my parents weren't included. They tell me they'll pay for this or that, they'll take care of this or that...they are not taking care of any details yet and I'm starting to worry a little bit. If my bank account was big enough, we'd've had everything done/ordered already (invitations, decorations, cake). And they-Mom- keep trying to give me instructions and advice. This shows how little they know about me. Unless I ask for said advice, I will not listen to it and then she just gets all worked up. 

Sample conversation from this summer:

(Setup: Josh and I got engaged and chose to set the date for next summer, and I will still be in school. Dad says he won't pay for the wedding cause I won't do things his way. I say, "I don't care. I have money and a job." To my knowledge, Dad and I are both fine with the situation... Mom and I are on our way home from looking at dresses, where we were limited to the $99 rack because I'm not stupid enough to blow all my money on a damn dress. Now we're on our way home.)
Mom: "I just don't know why you can't compromise a little bit. I've been trying to talk to him but he refuses to pay for your wedding if it's outside...I just wish you two weren't so stubborn!"
Me (nonchalantly): "That sucks."
Mom (getting worked up over nothing, it seems): "I just want you to be able to have a nice wedding!"
Me (just as nonchalantly as before): "Don't worry. We'll make sure everyone knows to bring their own lawnchairs and a dish for a potluck supper. My friends will all understand. It'll be fine."
Mom (somewhat hysterical at this point): "Why do you think everything has to go your way all the time? Can't you just compromise a little bit? Just leave Razzle home and we'll see if he'll give in, at least a little bit."
Me (calmly and business-like): "Yeah that's not gonna happen. Razzle is my best friend. This is my only wedding. It's going to be my way."
Mom (on the verge of tears and getting very worked up): "You are just like your dad! I want to help you out so you'll be able to have a nice wedding! But if you insist on everything going your way, that's fine! I'll just have to be embarrassed about it and make sure I don't invite any of my friends!"
Me (just as calm as before): "Okay. ... You know, they can come if they bring a dish for supper."

For the record, Dad gave in and decided that they'd pay. But not for the photographer or my footwear, apparently.


Of course I'm not easy to work with. Dress shopping: white only, no train, not strapless, not lacy, no veil, no bouquet...I know it was frustrating for the dress shop ladies to work with that, but we managed. And of course I won't do traditional vows either-I'm writing my own. The ceremony exit music will be Bon Jovi. And we're riding off into the sunset on Razzle. 

Non-traditional, to say the least. But Josh and I are working well together, and that's all I can ask for. Everyone else can get over their issues or shut the hell up :) Cause one thing's for sure, I am my own boss, this is my only wedding, and even if things don't get done til the last minute, they'll go my way.

4 comments:

  1. Okay let me say this...tradition? Who does that anymore?
    Really?
    I got married on a mule, yes I did. I can think of others who did too.
    Kelli F. for example. Way cool. I photographed part of it from Badger's back.
    Oh but I did have a bouquet. I went to a flower shop a few days ahead and asked to a bouquet that a mule could EAT.
    They obliged.
    It was perfect.
    It is your day.
    My son told me to butt out of his wedding and I did.
    I am happy about that!

    I nearly had Cheyanne as Mare of Honor, but she was being bred.
    So there you go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tried sending a link to my wedding photo on mule back...didn't work! Whoops...

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's awesome that you got married on your mule!!! I wanted Razzle as Maid of Honor, but Josh said he'd let me have a dude if I wanted, so I obliged, just as long as it's still "untraditional" :)

    ReplyDelete