Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Learning to Unbelieve





"I urge you, brothers (and sisters), for those who cause divisions and put obstacles in your way that are contrary to the teaching you have learned. Keep away from them." -Romans 16:17

Paul was the man. When he was converted, he just ran around telling everyone about how awesome his God was, and confronting the cultures about their corrupt ways and how they should be changed. This is a really hard thing to do! Here I am, trying to not become corrupt by my surroundings, and I'm so busy trying to hold my ground that I can't hardly even begin to confront others. And as far as keeping away from those that cause divisions.... those that cause divisions...are those to whom we are drawn. In my case, anyway. Or maybe I'm causing the divisions...I am sorta self-destructive by nature.


...


I'm writing this as I catch up on the sermon I missed Sunday from my church in Ames (I went home this weekend). And the sermon is about learning to unbelieve, and the first thing the pastor talks about is this book of "Sunday School myths":


10 Dumb Things Smart Christians Believe - by Larry Osborne


1. Faith can fix anything
2. Forgiving means forgetting
3. A godly home guarantees godly kids
4. God has a blueprint for my life
5. Christians shouldn't judge
6. Everything happens for a reason
7. Let your conscience be your guide
8. God brings good luck
9. A valley means a wrong turn
10. Dead people go to a better place


And I get it. We need to learn to "unbelieve" these things we've learned and been taught. And live in the Light of God's truth. 

No comments:

Post a Comment