Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Careful: This Contains Deep Reflections





~Philippians 2:3-4, "Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others."


I got an email today from a friend wanting some of my favorite Bible verses. A year ago, I'm not sure I would've had any. Today, I rattled off like 15 in 10 minutes, and that was limiting it, to make sure that I only had one verse/book. Then I ran out of time so that was all I sent.


The first verse that came to mind was Philippians 2:3-4. I thought back about the origins of this verse in my life, which is what (ironically) triggered the Bible memorization in the first place, and I laughed out loud a little. God sure does work in the very most mysterious of ways! Anyway, hard work and a large time commitment (time with God= avg. loss of 1 hour of sleep/day) paid off.


I'm reading the book Forgotten God by Francis Chan right now. I read Crazy Love last summer, and if I hadn't spent the past several months reading Mere Christianity (Lewis) I would've already returned to dear Francis-I highly recommend checking his books out, maybe even googling a sermon or two. :)


Anyway the chapter I'm in right now is addressing personal image issues. Like...how I might feel awkward reading that book in public, because I might not want people to think I'm "weird" or something. On one hand, I don't care what people think (really, I don't!) but on the other hand, I haven't exactly told everyone I know what a wonderful book it is...so...GUILTY!


And I am a Jesus freak for sure. I mean, I'm crazy about my God and everything He's done! And I (secretly) live my life different from most people I know. And Chan addresses the issue that believers' lives (in general, in America) don't look any different from unbelievers' lives. Guilty again


Prime example: "Shannon, why don't you drink?"  Me, "Uh.....I don't like the taste." (I don't drink because as a follower of Christ, His ambassador to the world, I know it's morally wrong for me to drink, etc. and whenever I have, I feel a distance from God), but rarely/probably never have I ever...said so. Guilty yet again.


And for the record, Josh and I have abstained from sex in all its forms. Another thing that I'm really proud of, but I don't go around broadcasting it like I should. In fact, as much as I know about purity and its purpose and the dangers of the promiscuous culture I live in, I don't just tell people: when it comes up, I'm sheepish about something where I should be proud! I don't tell people what a wonderful relationship we have; I don't tell people I know we'll have one of the best marriages I (and many of you) will ever witness. And when I don't tell people, I'm in danger of forgetting (again).


I don't tell people how Christ has changed me. Or that I'm extreme in the way I worship Him. There's a time and a place for that. Or is there? Absolutely not! The very first thing people should know about me is that I'm a practicing Christian! But for some reason, I only share this with my closest friends. Fail.


BUT MY GOD GIVES SECOND/THIRD/MILLION/BILLIONS OF CHANCES!!!!! And with Him, I can change. And now that I know you're all watching me, looking for me to stumble in my faith...challenge accepted. I'm not perfect, but He is. And I hope that you will see Him in me.


If you're interested in more information, music, book recommendations (I have a library), etc, facebook me or email me at shannon1@iastate.edu.

1 comment:

  1. Wow Shannon, that is so great that you have memorized all those verses. That is exactly what Pastor Kevin keeps telling us to do. Having the word of God embedded into our hearts. You are already being a light by living your life different from the world. When people see that you live life different and start to ask, you will be open to share with them at just the right time. Wait for God's timing. This may just all be preperation. So glad that Josh has choosen a strong Christain woman and we are excited to welcome you into the family. Blessings on your day.
    Josh's and soon to be your MOM
    Love You.

    ReplyDelete