Monday, November 15, 2010

Tough as Nails




~Psalm 91:14-16, "Because he loves me," says the Lord, "I will rescue him; I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name.  He will call upon me, and I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble, I will deliver him and honor him. With long life will I satisfy him and show him my salvation."



Travel nurse: "This is one option for malaria medication. The side effects are bad dreams and some people get edgy..."

Me: "Wait-what do you mean by 'edgy?' Like twitchy or something?"
Nurse: "Like...bitchy."
Me: "Oh... well we should probably look at another option then."


This is just one of the many humorous events that went down at my doctor's appointment today. She also advised me not to have indiscriminate sex like this: "This is spread by blah blah blah and indiscriminate sex... So don't do that." And she also talked to me about rabies. Like this: "I can see by the way that you're dressed that you like animals so here's the deal: don't pet any." I would make a comment about stereotyping people but she's right. :)


After discussing all the hazards of Ecuador and different vaccines I'll have to take...she also had to give me a couple of shots...a great experience for all involved. Me going to the doctor is a similar scene to when the vet comes to work on the mules. There's a lot of suspicion and protest on the part of the one being doctored. Like, she cleans off my arm and we're yakking and all of a sudden there's a needle there and I'm like (in one breath and a huge run-on sentence as I flinch away), "Hey, whoa, WAIT A MINUTE, you said to relax and I'm not relaxed yet and which one is that and are you sure that's where it goes and you're positive that I should have it?!!!" 

Thank goodness Zach was there for "moral support." He and the nurse were making fun of me at this point, which I get a lot, so it's comforting, and then the shot was no problem. Of course, the shot itself is never the problem. It's the before and after that I don't like. 

After the first shot, which didn't hurt at all or bleed, she proceeded to get another shot out. So after a bit of discussion about how "this one has a lot of volume and might sting 'a little'" then I did finally let her give it to me, with the agreement that I would still be able to use my arm after. This was the mother of all shots. It hurt a lot during administration and afterwards, and it bled a lot. Icky. 

So the doctor appointment was for my upcoming study abroad trip in Ecuador this winter break. I have to take a lot of oral vaccines, considering the length of the trip is only ten days. I also gave in...and got the flu vaccine. The nasal spray of course. But only because I'm travelling. But I will never get the flu vaccine again unless it's required for me. Not really for any reason except I think I'm tough because I never get sick...and I'm stubborn, and tough as nails, except for my dislike of shots. :)

I could've done a lot of productive things in the time it took me to write this. But I hope you enjoyed it and that it made you laugh a little even though you probably dislike Mondays. 

4 comments:

  1. WAIT...WAIT...tell me all about this traveling abroad!
    What are you going to do? What are going to see?
    Take pictures!
    I AM so envious. I've only traveled within the US and Canada.

    So Awesome, you Rock!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am studying abroad with ISU, and we are looking at soils, crops, and basically agriculture in general in another part of the world. And it will be my first time out of the country, so I'm pretty excited. :) Except for the parts where they said crime rate is high.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is very cool Shannon, you have to keep us updated on your travels and your thoughts, okay?

    ReplyDelete